We know you have questions! And, we have answers.
Find out everything you need to know here.
Before you get a Curl Cult Service:
Curl Cult is a new texture treatment that can create or reform curls or waves! This non-damaging formula is good for your hair and the planet with its vegan ingredients and pea protein infused solution. Less steps and softer scent get you in and out of the salon comfortably so you can wake up every day with soft, natural looking, touchable texture.
Curl Cult service results are best on virgin (not colored / bleached / highlighted / or chemically altered) hair. In most cases we can safely service colored or highlighted hair up to 20 volume in a foil, or 30 volume open air bleach as well as previously permed hair. If you are already experiencing breakage you should not get a Curl Cult service. If you have any doubt, ask your practitioner to first start with a test strand
Curl Cult® at home hair care professional products will support your new curly hair. We recommend getting Refresh & Revive for cleansing, Magic Spell for hydrating and refreshing on days you don’t wash, and Enhance to support and add bounce to your curls.
Let your practitioner know if you are on any medication, Henna or drug store products (especially if it has metallic in it) as you will need an additional clarifying treatment to remove extra build up. Metallic and silicone build up can make the service less effective and/or cause additional damage if not addressed ahead of time.
Getting a Curl Cult service over a keratin treatment can be inconsistent so we recommend a test strand first before proceeding with the entire service. A Curl Cult service should not be done over previously relaxed hair or hair colored with henna.
A Curl Cult service will best create natural looking curl looks due to how it is wrapped, softened and set. Looks created by a curling iron or flat iron (i.e. wrap curls), however, will be easier to achieve and last longer because it is supported by a Curl Cult treatment. Find pictures of curls you love and curls you don’t to share with your practitioner so you both know what direction to go in.
If you are losing a lot of length the majority of the cut can happen before the service. If your stylist is simply adjusting the shape to work with your new texture we suggest waiting to cut your hair until after the service. The right cut for curly hair is imperative for the best results and layers will really make your new texture pop!.
You must wait 48 hours after your service before washing your hair, swimming, sweating profusely, or strongly securing your hair back. If hair looks or feels flat, you may run your hands under water and scrunch into hair to refresh, or spray with Magic Spell. Expect the treatment to ‘settle in” after the first wash (i.e. loosen a bit).
We recommend you have a consultation with your Stylist on all of this before booking your service to make sure you and your Stylist are on the same page.
When done correctly, and on hair that can take it, NO. Our formula is extra safe with PisumProtex™technology so that we can be kinder to the hair. Whether you’re adding curls or waves or defining your current curl pattern, your Curl Cult treatment will leave you with an effortless wash and go look. Your hair will be noticeably softer with added life and texture for easy, air dry and go hair.
What to expect during your service:
Time is determined on an individual basis depending on hair length, type, and desired outcome. It can take as little as 90-minute for the IT Wave or partial service or up to 3 hours for curl reformation service. Your stylist will be able to communicate how much time to allow during your consultation.
- spray Magic Spell leave-in conditioner
- add a dollop of Enhance moisturizing curl cream in wet hair
- comb thru and braid in one or two loose braids
- air dry and remove braids once dry
Process is as follows:
- TEST STRAND (when applicable, see above) – we put the solution on a small amount of hair for a set amount of time to ensure the process will not damage the integrity of the hair.
- Clarifying shampoo – to remove it of any impurities.
- Comb out.
- Hair is wrapped: solution may be applied before or after rollers depending on how resistant hair is and how much has been done chemically to it prior to this service
- Process 10-60 minutes. A cap and heat may be applied to more resistant hair.
- Neutralize. Applied right over top of the solution. We neutralize for 10 min forming the bonds into their new shape.
- Removal of the rods
- At the shampoo bowl, reapplication of the neutralizing solution for 2 minutes.
- Rinse out with lukewarm water for 5 minutes.
- Condition – to replenish moisture.
- Cut and style (cut may be done at another date depending on the practitioners preference).
Do not wear a shirt with a collar or anything else that can’t get water on it. Sometimes (not often) your shirt may get wet.
Be sure you have the right products to support and style your new hair
- Paraben-free, silicone-free and sulfate-free shampoos, conditioners and co-washes, such as Refresh and Revive: avoid build-up and stripping of much needed hydration
- Magic Spell leave-in conditioner: makes detangling wet hair easy, pH balances and elevates other products. Use in wet or dry hair, on a wash day to help style and non-wash days to restyle.
- Enhance moisturizing curl cream: a moisture rich lotion that helps activate curl and control frizz
- Mousse/foam: offers more support and structure and volume to curls
- Gel or gel-oil: sculpts and controls curls
Do’s and Don’ts at home after your service:
- Wash and condition with professional, moisture rich curl supportive products.
- Only use a microfiber or 100% cotton towel on your hair to scrunch and or wrap up. Seriously this is worth it, you will have way better curl results.
- Get a silk or satin pillowcase for less frizz and breakage.
- Get a collapsible universal diffuser for your blow dryer when you want more volume, or need to have your hair dry quicker than air drying.
- Air drying is going to be your best bet for styling.
- Don’t you dare wash that hair for the first 48 hours (see Legally Blonde).
- NO hard clips or ponytails for the first 48 hours.
- Don’t wash your hair too often, reactivate curls with water the next day and scrunch in leave-in conditioner or curl cream depending on what your hair needs.
How do I style my new curly hair?
- spray with Magic Spell leave-in conditioner
- scrunch a quarter size dollop of Enhance moisturizing curl cream in 1-3 rounds for even application
- scrunch out extra moisture with your microfiber towel
- air dry or finish with a diffuser for more volume.
- spray Magic Spell leave-in conditioner
- sculpt hair into desired ringlet curls using a bit of Enhance moisturizing curl cream each time
- let air dry
Once your new texture starts to fall out of shape:
It might be time for a cut to reactivate the curls. Typically* you will need a new service in:
- 2 months for tight curl or shorter lengths
- 3-4 months for a mid-length or resistant hair
- 5-6 months for long loose curls
*all results vary based on your unique hair type